What are the best ways to study business processes?
What are the best ways to study business processes?
By Soko Directory Team / Posted on April 16, 2022 | 9:26
A business process is a logical sequence of actions performed by one or more members of a team to achieve a specific goal. It is characterized by the following features:
- It is performed by humans;
- It always involves the interaction of several people, either directly or indirectly (eg communication with customers, suppliers, vendors, etc.).
To effectively manage business processes, you need to know the subject well.
Why study business processes?
The study of business processes is important because it allows you to:
- Model the path and many steps from goal setting to goal implementation;
- Develop the set of actions and functions required to achieve a specific result.
Why is it important to improve business processes?
Improving business processes allows companies to achieve many objectives:
- Overcoming poor project management;
- Achieve cost optimization;
- Improve existing business processes;
- Increase employee morale;
- Increase customer satisfaction;
- Optimize performance time;
- Provide a seamless workflow;
- Add value to projects.
How do you study business processes?
Modeling and optimization of business processes should be carried out by specialists with the necessary training and experience. They must have the knowledge and techniques to help improve performance and maximize business capabilities.
Let’s see how to study a business process to promote continuous improvement.
1. Recognize processes
First, it is important to identify the processes that need improvement. With your business goals in mind, research and assess which relevant processes help achieve those goals and are the most critical.
To determine them, you can use a business analysis methodology developed by management consultant Peter Drucker that involves answering five questions:
- What is the company’s mission?
- Who is your customer?
- What does your customer like about your business?
- What are your main results?
- What’s your plan?
If you need more in-depth research of the written data and don’t have the time to do it, visit writing service review websites like Writing Judge for help.
2. Form a group
Getting a team of professionals (e.g. group leaders, motivated employees, upper management specialists, frontline employees, etc.) is a useful solution that will allow you to accelerate and improve the effectiveness of your business process study. These people work with various processes on a daily basis, so they know many useful details:
- The current state of affairs;
- Useful information;
- Objectives sought;
- Existing and potential flaws in the process.
Some of the most popular methods for evaluating a company’s most important business processes are:
3. Build a business process flowchart
Creating a diagram provides valuable insight into the details of the business process. It can be drawn conveniently and understandably using standard symbols and tools.
As a result, it will be much easier to see what is working well and identify bottlenecks and gaps. Here’s how to create a business process flowchart:
Determine the components
Every business process flowchart should include the following key components:
- These are the documents, data, materials, etc., that will be used during processing and then transformed into outputs;
- These are the operations performed on the inputs to transform them into outputs;
- This is the result of input processing. They can also be presented in the form of data, documents, graphs, products, etc.
Order in process
Processes can sometimes run in parallel or have to wait for the results of others.
Build a logical order for the processes
Describe what happens at each step of the process. This involves extending the data with an explanation. For example, if you have to wait for another task, specialists such as essay writers for hire, decisions, data, etc.
Choose the appropriate symbols for the process steps
To do this, you can use different geometric figures (for example, square, oval, etc.). This task can be done manually or using specialized software.
After sticking to the flowchart with all the descriptions, check if you forgot anything.
4. Specify the AS-IS process
This step involves an examination of the current state of the business process. To do this effectively, you will need to define:
- Officers: this step consists of identifying the activities of the process, the people responsible for carrying them out, the availability of authorizations, etc. ;
- Analyze the process model: this phase includes the determination of the objective, metrics and rules of the process, the presence of bottlenecks and the measures to control them, etc. ;
- Document preparation: this step consists of analyzing and writing reports that will inform the consultation and presentation. If you’re struggling to write, visit writing service review websites such as Best Writers Online for the help you need.
5. Identify areas for improvement
At this stage, you should identify desired and possible improvements. Consider the following:
- How you interact with customers; Activities with high perceived value;
- Bottlenecks and gaps;
- Business rules.
6. Build a model of the desired business process
After collecting and processing all the data, create a new business process that is flawless and enables the organization to achieve its target goals more efficiently.
The study of the business process provides information to evaluate problems and determine their causal factors. Based on this data, one can learn the details of how the company’s business processes work and how it achieves its key objectives. It should also be noted that studying the business processes of the company is an ongoing process because there is always room for optimization or improvement.